Sunday 29 May 2011

Knowing Yourself

The first session of the PPP module required us to question ourselves on our practice, our working methods, and our thoughts about life after university. Breaking these areas down into fairly straightforward but also scrutinising questions proved to be immensely helpful when considering the future. Even if you don't have a particular career angle in mind to aim for – as I don't – these sorts of questions can very much whittle down what you can and can't do, what sort of area you will and won't fit into. Knowing what you don't want to do, is equally beneficial to its opposite.

These are my notes on working through these self-knowing questions. To summarise the key points:
  • At present I am struggling to define myself to anything more specific than a 'creative'.
  • Happiness is success, not the other way round.
  • I would be content to have a 'normal' job for a living, and work creatively outside of hours, thereby removing the stress. However would be great if the two could come together at some point.
  • What I want to do next is figure out what I want to do after that. 
  • Need to work with others to keep driven, can't stand long and lonely evenings in front of a computer screen. Like collaboration, but only if the collaborators are hard-working and reliable. 
  • Efficiency is not my strong point.
So plenty of food for thought, towards forming a plan for the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment